onsdag, januari 03, 2007

Some hutongs and markets


We took a stroll in the hutongs just south of Tian'anmen square (The Gate of Heavenly Peace). Here they have old stores with traditional Chinese calligraphy equipment: brushes, ink, rise paper etc. But people also live here, in the same way they have done for ages. I've heard the city wants to tare these areas down. A pity if you ask me. Maybe they could renovate them instead so they will keep some history left.

Our friend Pei-Pei lives in this areas, so we met up and she took to a market (in another area)where they sell "small things"; phone jewellery, bags, perfume for your cars, kitchen tools, decorations, buttons, underwear, jewellery, hats etc. (Crazy!)
For me as Swede I'm used to a branded world, where I can go to stores with a special image/identity, buying products with a special image/identity. But not in China. Here they have these small booths with everything. Look at all the DVD players; try to figure out the brand and quality! Of course it's easier if you are Chinese, but as a colleague say: you can never trust a salesman, they just want to make most profit of you. (Not all of course)

Here's 3.3, a shopping mall close to me. Just behind the famous Yashow copy market. Its here we have our tailor. So I visit it rather frequently.