tisdag, juli 24, 2007

Johannes, art and a feeling of fake

This is Johannes. He's an artist mostly making bronze sculptures, that's why he's in China. They are great looking and he just came back from Sweden where he had a much succeeded exhibition in Falkenberg. He got a whole page in Hallands Nyheter, you can check out his work at www.johannesnielsen.com. This Saturday Johannes showed me some nice art stores to buy paint and canvas, something I will do when I get back from my vacation I will have soon. (Oh, I’m really longing
Johannes and I discussed the feeling of things feeling fake in China even if they aren't. Like the house where he lives. If this was in Sweden I would have thought that is was a rather interesting area. But now in Beijing it just feels boring... I can't really put my finger on it but I think it can have something with the material and the finish of the details of the houses. It's new but still worn if you know what I mean. The quality of the material is not so good so it has started to rust just after a few years. It can also be that the effort of getting this house look like this not is an effort? My feeling is that many real estate builders in China just want to something cool so they ask an architect company to make it for them, but it has to be fast! So the last touch of the buildings will not be there... I.e. the emotions that otherwise would be built in to the house is there. The speed of development is too fast so the gut feeling and humanism are gone... Welcome to China!