Singapore - sort of a tropical Sweden
Was in Singapore for business. First of all, night flight to get there. Not the best sleep you can get. But I manage, got some sleep at the hotel before the first meeting.
Singapore, it feels a little bit like a tropical Sweden. It's a lot of rules, it's clean, it's fashionable, and it’s rather expensive. Just read the lovely little note on the smoking prohibited sign - "by law"! You can see people of different subcultures on the streets and you don't see as much guest workers on the streets as in Beijing. Gustav G who lived there 1992-95 (I think it was) call it "Disneyland with death penalty". Our guy in Singapore calls it Asia for beginners because it's very western and all people speak English. .jpg)
After the meeting we went out to the east shore and had wonderful black pepper crabs, yummy! For me it was also great to get there before dusk so I could see the ocean horizon. Something I really longing for.
At that place they had a cable driven water ski facility. You can ride and jump with water skies or wakeboards etc. round and round a big sea water pond. I wanted to try, but didn't have any bathing-trunks.
At the hotel I checked out the TV in Singapore (we are poor fed in China...) One of the native channels (they speak English, Malay, different dialects of Indian and Chinese in Singapore) they showed a movie with Malay subtitle and it felt like "Lorem Ipsum" a fake language used to fill text eras in advertisements or magazine layouts. It was really annoying. As a Swede I'm used to read the subtitle, but this just confused me...
Another sign that it's like Sweden, bad humour signs to learn people how to behave. A sign like "Din mamma jobbar inte här - städa efter dig" deas not exist in China...
Singapore is now the second largest harbour in the world (after Shanghai). Something you could see on the south side of the island with lots of cranes and ships. Otherwise they have a many sky rises of course, but here they have small pieces of nature in between. In some areas they have villas with gardens and no high buildings. A mix of everything.
Ah, and not to forget! Their taxi system... First: they have GPS (good), they speak English (good, I got very interesting info about the city from the drivers), some of the taxi cars are the same as in Hong Kong, great leg space and the chauffeur can open the door to the backseat by pulling a lever (good). Secondly (not so good - or?) It's not allowed to hey down a taxi on the streets. You have to stand in line at special taxi stands. Here you can wait or call a number and dial in a code for the place your at. Here you might have to wait for 30-50 minutes! So, again like Swedes, they like to stand in line and wait...

0 Comments:
Skicka en kommentar
<< Home